What is 'surge' testing?
Surge testing is COVID-19 testing in the community. It's been organised in Bristol and South Gloucestershire to find out more about the mutated COVID-19 variant, and to reduce the spread of the virus. The idea of community testing is to find people who have the virus, but aren't displaying any symptoms. You should not attend any of the new testing sites if you believe you may have COVID-19.
Do I need to get tested?
You can get a COVID-19 test if you're over 16 and live or work in any of the below postcodes:
- BS1 3
- BS2 0
- BS2 8
- BS2 9
- BS3 5
- BS4 4
- BS5 6
- BS5 7
- BS6 5
- BS8 2
- BS9 4
- BS5 0
- BS6 6
- BS14 9
- BS16 1
- BS16 2
- BS16 3
- BS16 5
- BS16 6
- BS16 7
- BS16 9
- BS37 8
- BS8 3 (only within Bristol City Council boundary – check yours at www.gov.uk/find-local-council)
- BS14 0 (only within Bristol City Council boundary – check yours at www.gov.uk/find-local-council)
Where can I get tested?
The second phase of community testing begins on February 9, 2021. Eight new Collect and Drop sites have been announced:
- Fishponds Library, Robinson House, Hockey's Ln, Fishponds, Bristol BS16 3HL - Mon to Sat, 10am - 4pm
- Henleaze Library, 30 Northumbria Dr, Henleaze, Bristol BS9 4HP - Mon to Sat, 10am - 4pm
- Junction 3 Library, 138b Lower Ashley Rd, Easton, Bristol BS5 0FJ - Mon to Sat, 10am - 4pm
- Whitchurch Library, 7 Oatlands Ave, Bristol BS14 0SX - Mon to Sat, 10am - 4pm
- Wick Road Library, Wick Rd, Brislington, Bristol BS4 4HE - Mon to Sat, 10am - 4pm
- Emersons Green Library, Emersons Way, Emersons Green BS16 7AP - Mon to Sun, 9am - 5pm
- Downend Library, Buckingham Gardens, Downend, BS16 5TW - Mon to Sun, 9am - 5pm
- Staple Hill Library, Broad St, Staple Hill, BS16 5LS - Mon to Sun, 9am - 5pm
In addition, there are three mobile test units (MTUs), open seven days a week:
- Bristol and Bath Science Park, Dirac Crescent, Emersons Green, BS16 7FR
9am to 4pm
- Bristol City Council Testing Centre, 17-18 Wellington Road, BS2 9DA.
9am to 3pm
- Imperial Retail Park, Hartcliffe Way, BS13 7TJ.
9am to 3pm
Do I need to book?
You don't need to book, you can just turn up. There have been queues at some sites so it's best to allow plenty of time.
If you're using a Collect and Drop site, you should return home to complete your test, then drop it back to the same site.
The MTUs are drive-through testing centres.
You can find out more about surge testing on the Bristol City Council website.
Have you been vaccinated at one of the test sites? Click 'Talk to us' below to share your feedback with us. We'll use it to help improve the vaccination experience for everyone.