Why volunteer with us?
- Make a difference in your local community by giving people the opportunity to speak up about their health and social care
- Make new friends as you become part of the Healthwatch team
- Boost your CV as you develop new skills and confidence in the workplace
- Use your skills to contribute to the success of Healthwatch across Bristol.
Healthwatch Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire is looking to recruit up to 6 new board members, who are resident in Bristol or South Gloucestershire, to join its Board. We are particularly looking for people with skills and knowledge in Digital/Social Media, IT Systems and HR/Legal, and who are able to represent their local area.
Healthwatch was established under the Health and Social Care Act 2012 to understand the needs, experiences and concerns of people who use health and social care services and to speak out on their behalf.
What we need from you:
You will be carrying out activities around your other commitments and attending meetings at venues within the Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire area, although currently all meetings take place virtually via Zoom.
This is an excellent opportunity to play a senior role in a respected local organisation, applying your management skills and experience to make a real difference and to be part of a friendly and passionate group.
All Healthwatch Director/Trustees should have:
• a commitment to Healthwatch
• an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
• a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a trustee
• strategic vision
• good, independent judgement
• an ability to think creatively
• a willingness to speak their mind and participate fully in meetings
• a strong interest in engaging the public to have a voice in the quality of health and social care services
As a guide, we anticipate this voluntary role will take 2-3 hours per week, with attendance at Board meetings which are generally held monthly.
What’s in it for you?
Healthwatch volunteers are motivated to help for a range of reasons, but usually they have a strong interest in enabling the public voice to be heard particularly including those in the minority and who are disadvantaged.
A great opportunity to use your existing experience and to develop new skills
Working with others to make a difference both locally and nationally
The potential to meet and discuss issues with a wide range of people
Opportunities to be involved with local and national Healthwatch activities, events and workshops
Relevant induction and training
Payment of all out-of-pocket expenses with prior agreement
If you are interested in this role, please email the Chair, Georgie Bigg on firstname.lastname@example.org with an expression of your interest. Georgie will then send you an application form and equality and diversity monitoring form. For an informal discussion about the role please call Georgie on Tel: 01934 863070.